Friday, June 8, 2018

Third Tri - Ridgefield Tri


Third Tri



The Ridgefield tri was my third attempt at the triathlon and my first finish.  My first attempt was my first open water and first time in a wetsuit.  I quickly panicked and within a few minutes had to be rescued.  My second attempt was at the lake placid half ironman.  There I didn't make the swim time cutoff of an hour and 10 minutes.  Critical to this race was the lessons I learned from lake placid.  During the race I was being coached by a man named John who was volunteering on a kayak. John taught me that I won't drown with a wet suit, that cold water causes you to breath faster, that my stronger right hand causes me to pull more towards one side, and how to freestyle with breathing every 2nd stroke.  The race gave me some confidence and a backup way to catch my breath while still doing the only swimming stroke I know (freestyle/front crawl) and the knowledge to what happens to the body when you hit cold water. 



The day before

With bib pickup at ridgefield the day before, it seemed like a good idea to practice on the actual course.  However, I wasn't too sure if I would be able to do open water swimming at the site, I heard that open water swimming wasn't allowed in the lake of the race.  So I opted to cram in some easy training in Harriman.   Harriman with it's rolling road hills and lake tiorati beach for swimming is a hotspot for triathletes.  Unlike 9W and the palisades which attracts many cyclists, Harriman seems to specifically attract triathletes.   I got in almost 20 miles bike ride and a 22 minute open water swimming.  I however, did not venture to the deep end of the swimming area of the lake.    The water was cold and I just practiced breathing out in the water, being relaxed and sighting a bit.  I got a lot better in sighting than lake placid.  There I kind of jerked my head up to see where I was.  This time I was slightly lifting the head to take aim and breathe a bit before putting the head down.  Probably still not effective as switching to breast stroke but good enough.  I also practiced doing very small kicks.  In lake placid John told me to not kick as it draws a lot of my blood that I need elsewhere.  At bib pickup I brought a new pair of swimming goggles.  I was a bit nervous about trying new things on race day but I lost my good goggles so this seemed important.  Afterwards I had a late lunch with Jackie, Michael, Jason, Cathy and Yin.  Then I headed back home to spend some time with my family who I haven’t seen in a while.  I briefly practiced barefoot running in their backyard since T1 (swim to bike) would involve some time barefoot.



Setting up 

I got to the parking lot at 5:15 am and started setting up my gear (putting my stickers on my bike, filling up tires, etc).  The rest of the gang soon parked over in a few minutes.  We biked over to the transition area.  I was riding behind Michael when his bag get caught in the front wheel and saw him flip over.  Lucky he seemed okay, however several bike spokes broke.  We walked the rest of the way over and he went to a bike mechanic.  Eventually he was able to borrow a wheel from a volunteer who had biked over.



Being a small triathlon we had the option to position our transition areas wherever we wanted (granted you came early enough and the spot you want wasn't taken [normally your spot is assigned]).  We positioned ourselves close to the bike in/bike out location.  Some people want to get to their bikes ASAP after the swim but then you got to roll your bike out dodging people before you reach the mount area.  I had a small hand towel but forgot it in the car me so nothing to dry feet with.  I decided to not use my sun glasses or cap as it was cloudy so I stored those away from my spot.  I would later regret the glasses decision as there was some dirt that hit my eye in during the bike ride.  Jackie helped position my helmet and I laid the cycling and running shoes out.  I decided to use cotton socks because I thought since they stretch out easier that they would be easier to put on (note I normally never wear cotton socks for anything athletic).  I started loosening my goggles for them to be more comfortable but Jackie told me that they should be tight so I retighten them.



The Swim

Pre conditions

I should first of point out that I still suck at swimming.  I usually swim pool length (25 meters one side) and then take a 3-5 second brake before swimming back.  I could swim back and forth, 50 meters but that sometimes feels like an extensive effort.  My body is not straight, my legs dip down so my arms tend to do more work (not sure if wearing a wetsuit corrects this).  I did get, comfortable in the pool (my last two tris I was not comfortable in pools) but I lack continuous swimming experience.  I started the year off serious about swimming training but as soon as my races started rolling in, swimming lost priority.  Timing was a bit bad and I couldn’t crap in last minute swims like some of my friends.  I came in the swim nervous like usual but I knew what to expect and had backup plans (thank you trial by fires).



I got to the pond that we were going to swim on early.  About 6:30ish, a half hour before the elites went off.  I was the third athlete there.  I saw a bunch of speculators set up beach chairs.  I guess speculating won't be that bad.  No one else was in the water so I waited.  Saw the rescue boat drop into the water (wonder if it's the same one that pulled me out last year).  Finally one of the others started swimming and another man came in so I started.  I started away from the deep end and just tried to get myself comfortable.  I started going a little bit into the deep end and then retreated back to shore.  Soon after the rest of the gang came over and went farther in so that forced me to do so too.  I was surprised at how fast I got to the first floating platform thing (I guess that initial push off gives you some speed).  Then I started swimming back and saw three swimmers heading towards me.  Somehow got through them.  Cathy then went over how to float around with me so I had a final backup.  It was something I had not practiced so good to review it.  Jason gave me some last minute advice as well. 



Elites went off at 7 am and the mens 39 and under went off at 7:03.  The Elites were fast!  I was a bit glad to start off with 3 people I knew.  We started at the back of our wave.  As soon I hit the water I switched to my backup freestyle stroke where I breathe every 2 strokes.  After a while I found my right shoulder to start tiring out so I flipped over and just relaxed.  Flipped back and got back to it.  Quickly other waves passed by me.  I saw groups of green and soon red capped swimmers pass by.  There were three buoys and getting to the first one felt like forever.  I made to it without veering of too much off course but probably lost time to getting myself comfortable.  After the first buoy I once again flipped on to my back to relax and catch my breath.  Going to the second buoy I found myself going way off to the left too much.  As I struggled I thought of friends who wished me good luck and my friends swimming in the water with me and used those thoughts as a source of strength.  I was able to see a group of other swimmers and headed towards them.  I started using groups of other swimmers as reference points. I flipped on my back a third time too to relax.  I finally passed the second buoy! The third buoy was by the finish and with the thought of finishing I felt my motivation soaring. My form switched between my normal pool breathing rate (every 4 strokes) and between the 2 strokes backup.  I focused on the follow through of the form as well.  I was gaining confidence in my abilities.  I caught up to a group of kids who were swimming with no wetsuit and using odd strokes to swim.  They were a bit easier to see so I tried to keep up with them. Finally I could see sand on the floor and I knew I could now stand up.  I ended up a bit to the right of finish and made my way.  I remember seeing people in the timberland half ironman finish their swim and so effectively take off their wetsuit.  I had trouble simply reaching for the strap.  I decided to pull on the zipper and then attempt to take off the top but with the strap still there it didn’t move.  Finally got the strap and removed the top half of the wetsuit.  I jogged to the transition area.  I did not feel vertical dizziness as I was expecting. 



The Bike

As I neared transition I realized I forgot to tap my transition button so lost a few seconds on my strava.  At transition I saw Jason.  I asked him if he was still alive, trying to joke but definitely not thinking clear yet.  Jason went off and I would not see him again till I finish.  I got my helmet on with no problem but I struggled to put my socks on with my wet feet.  I should have just went barefoot on my cycling shoes.  Then I struggled to strap on the cycling shoes, things that I never had problems with before.  Finally got my bike and jogged over to bike out and to mount loading.  Got on pretty normally and ate my science in sport gel.  I had two bottles with Gatorade in the bike but quickly realized that once was more than enough for the 12 mile ride.  I initially passed people on the uphills but then got passed on the downhills.  I quickly realized I was shifting wrong and that overall I wasn’t comfortable in the bike as I was last year.  It was my fourth time on my road bike this year so I guess I been on the citibike for too long.  I used higher gears and stood up to get up the hills since most of them were very short.  I know that’s not the best strategy but it seemed to work for most of the uphills.  One was too steep however and I got slowed down to a crawl which is a bit dangerous when you are clipped in since you could fall off.  There, lowering the gear would have been better.  I never really practiced cycling so this was a known weakness.  I drew on my desire to finish the race and I breathe pretty heavy on the entire ride.  For most of the ride I told people I was passing left and then said good work or good job as I passed by.  I don’t think this was normal as people didn’t really do the same, I kind of just went to my ultra-runner manners.



The run

At transition 2 I rushed to put my bike back and then took off the shoes.  I went to put on my running shoes but found something in one.  My last gel!  I forgot I placed it in there.  I bend down to put my shoes on, I had them double tied so I just slipped them on.  I headed towards bike out before realizing I need to get to run out.  I asked a guy standing around (volunteer I guess) and he pointed the way.  I ate my last gel on the way out.



As expected, running was my strongest area.  My first mile was 8:12 with the hills and with my legs feeling heavy.  I was also struggling to breathe a bit.  I got into a breathing rhythm after the first mile.  At 1.5 miles I knew the uphill was over and felt my legs going faster.  7:45 second mile.  I passed a lot of people…I was constantly passing.  Near the finish I started kicking and a man nearby kicked too.  He initially passed me but at the last second I think I pushed forward and passed first.  6:48 for the last mile!  Note that the downhill of the last 1.5 miles helped my speed.



Immediately after finishing I saw Jackie, Jason, and Michael.  Shortly after the rest finished.  The race had tacos with coffee and bagels but the tacos all had cheese and only cream spreads for the bagels so I ate two plain bagels, some oranges, and a banana with two bottles of water.  I stayed around and watched the many age group winners and saw Jackie come in 3rd and Cathy 1st in their age groups.  Afterwards the rest of the gang went to their hotel to shower before heading home.  I decided to go straight to Queens to join Queens Distance Runners in a parade.









No comments:

Post a Comment