Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Boulder Boulder 10k


Boulder Boulder was my first 10k in 3 years and the second time I traveled for a race smaller than a marathon (first time was the Yosemite half).  My previous PR was 59:29 in which I knew I could easily beat.  I was more interested in exploring Colorado than the actual race.  Two days before I embarked on the 5 peaks challenge, trail running the closest peaks to boulder.  I found the experience of summiting and descending each mountain to be unique and I was glad to have taken part of the challenge.  It quickly taught me of the various different environments around Boulder.  It was supposed to be a challenge equal to a 14,000 and with 6,000 feet of gain and with the heat it was difficult.  The day before I did a sunrise run and then ran the boulder reservoir with QDR.  After some rest we did a scenic drive tour of the Rocky Mountains national park.  I realized that higher elevations are kind of a desert.
Anyway to race day!  Knowing it was a big race I parked my car about a mile away for easy free parking.  On the way back I found out there was a small park just outside the race that people go to for free parking (next time).  On my run to the race I met a local Denver resident John and we talked a bit on our way.  I then went to porter porties, went to a cliff station and got a small cliff bar, some flag tattoos (it’s memorial day) and sunblock (something I’m constantly forgetting about), picked up my bib and waited for others.  Idelfonoso came by and soon the line for bag check was getting big so we decided to get on it.  The others arrived a bit later and we put all our things in one bag.  They charged $5 cash (unless you prepaid) for bag check.  The rest of the gang in much faster corrals than me proceed to the race.  I went to the warmup area and did a few strides at race pace.  Everything felt pretty good.  I then walked to my corral.  Despite it being a 50,000+ race, the same as NYC it was very easy to move around.  I didn’t feel like it was as crowded as NYC at all. 
The race itself wasn’t what I expected.  My first mile was on pace and my second mile went okay.  But the hills and altitude started getting me and my next two miles were bad, close to my half marathon time.  Doubt started creeping.  I started thinking that I couldn’t beat the altitude.  At the last mile I saw people started kicking going for the finish and I tried to follow to finish strong.  I couldn’t do it and mentally I started fading away.  Then I started hearing my name, Jessica and Adriana were cheering.  I mentally felt better and then I started focusing on the cheers and I also focused on what Kelvin said about that I got to hustle.  I kept repeating them in my head.  I regain some speed, going slightly faster than my half marathon pace.  Near the finish my eyes started closing, something that has been happening to me recently in the final sprint to the finish.  I managed to get a 10 minute PR but that’s mostly due to not running a 10k in three years.
Afterwards I met with the rest of QDR and proceed to the stadium festivities.  There was a huge amount of free stuff being given out!  Some vegan things as well.  Overall the race itself was really tough but the community around it and the organization of it was superb!  I’m definitely considering going back next year!

I continued my Colorado adventures by running the Royal Arch afterwards (and being called an overachiever by many) and then three 14ers over the next two days
.






x

No comments:

Post a Comment